Protect Those Shins!
Safety measures have improved drastically in the sport of soccer over the last few decades. As a result, shin guards are now mandatory and they do a great job of keeping players safe.
Shin guards are designed to cushion the impact on a player’s leg if there is any contact with another player during a foul. It is important to also know that adult shin guards won’t fit youth players correctly. Younger players are smaller and their shins will also be shorter. The wrong size shin guard could be very uncomfortable and make it difficult to play.
If you want your little soccer star to be as safe as possible on the field, check out our guide to the best shin guards for youth soccer!
Adidas Unisex Child Performance Sock & Shin Guard – Most Comfortable
We’re starting things off with a set of shin guards from one of the biggest sportswear brands in the world.
Adidas is universally famous for producing great equipment and clothing for all kinds of sports so you know you can trust the shin guards they produce. We’ve listed this as being one of the most comfortable sets on the market because the shin guards come integrated with a soccer sock to ensure a perfect fit.
Essentially, there is a slightly wider section of the sock around the shin that the guard can tuck neatly into. This also means there is no need for straps to hold the shin guards in place and your child won’t even have to worry about constantly adjusting their socks during a match.
The most common issue soccer players have with shin guards is with the velcro straps because they make them uncomfortable. Thankfully, these Adidas socks and guards completely avoid this issue!
- Soccer sock guard for training or playing
- Integrated shield for secure and fixed protection without straps
- Removable shield for easy washing
- Fitted fit
- Sizing runs small
Geekism Sport Soccer Shin Guards – Best Protection
The second pair has a velcro strap around each shin guard which makes them a bit less comfortable. However, these particular guards provide an impressive level of protection for your child’s legs.
The bulk of the shin guards is made with a strong PP (polypropylene) shell which works well to reduce the impact felt by the shin bone on contact. They also have an EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate) backing on the side that rests against the player’s leg. This material does a great job of dispersing energy on impact, meaning less of the force will be felt by your child, even if they get kicked pretty hard on the shin.
Finally, the highly protective hard front plates make them very durable and mean that they can withstand a great deal of force. Generally, these offer the best protection of any other shin guards that you can buy online for youth soccer players.
Despite the somewhat uncomfortable velcro straps, these are the best you can get if you want to ensure your child’s safety out on the field.
- Due to the wrap-around design of this shin guards fits better, so the overall size will be a half size smaller. It is recommended that customers in the largest age range of each size choose one size larger. Ergonomic Streamline Design - Geekism Sport Youth Soccer Shin Guards are shaped well to lower legs and won’t pressure legs and the Shin guards do not shift while game playing, Great for teenagers, children, kids, boys, girls etc.
- Three Best Sizes & Adjustable Elastic Velcro Straps - S: 8.5*14.5cm - suit for age 3~5yrs; M: 9.5*17cm - sute for age 4-8yrs; L: 10*19cm sute for age 8-15yrs. The shin board crafted with a durable & flexible band, easy adjust the size flexibly to get a comfortable fit; the child soccer pads are more stable for long time wearing, is nice and safe for kids to do training and soccer games. Easy to use - just cover your shin with this pad and put on your socks.
- High Protection & Comfortable - The powerful soccer training shin guards are created with high strength PP shell, which helps reducing impact on leg bones and muscle effectively; the soccer shin guards' EVA backing for high comfort and durable cushioning. Geekism Sport Youth Soccer Shin Guards have the highly protective hard front plates which are lightweight, durable and can offer the shin & calf comprehensive protection to against impacts.
- Perfect Match with Cotton Soccer Football Socks - Socks made by 95% cotton and 5% natural latex rubber, good elasticity for improved fit. When a child is playing football, the socks can be used with the shin guards.
- 100% Satisfaction - Geekism Soccer Shin Guards: We guarantee that the high quality soccer shin guards will surely please you! If, for any reason, you are not 100% satisfied with the shin guards & socks, we will issue you a full refund or an exchange!
AIMISICAR Youth Soccer Shin Guards – Best Overall
We’ve looked at the most comfortable and most protective shin guards available, but this pair of shin guards combines the best aspect of both with a very interesting design.
Instead of having a shin guard that sits inside a single sock, these use double pocket sleeves to hold the guards firmly in place without any need for straps. The first layer of material wraps around the player’s calf. The second layer wraps around the shin guard and holds it in place and the sock goes over the guard.
The multiple layers of material could get a little uncomfortable for some but they have been made with a very breathable fabric to reduce overheating. Similarly, the fact that this design separates the shin guard from immediate contact with the leg means that chafing and rubbing on the skin are also reduced.
As well as using this innovative design, this set does also provide all the basic features that you’d expect from soccer shin guards. The ergonomically-designed shape of the shin guards perfectly fits the shape of a child’s leg. The wide variety of sizes available means you should be able to find the right fit. Plus, the high-strength PP shell and EVA backing make these shin guards super resistant to harmful impacts and disperse the energy well, without harming the player.
The AMISICAR Youth Shin Guards are our pick for the best all-around set of shin guards. Plus they don’t cost a fortune!
- ⚽【Package Contents】- 1 pair of Soccer Shin Guards and 1 pair of Calf Sleeves, will match perfectly in football/soccer games.
- ⚽【Comprehensive Shin Protection】- Powerful soccer training Shin Pads are made of high-strength PP shell, which helps to effectively reduce the impact on leg bones and muscles; EVA backing of Kids Youth Soccer Shin Guards provides high comfort and durability buffer.
- ⚽【DRI-FIT High Elasticity Soccer Shin Guards Sleeves】- Seamless, breathable, and DRI-FIT sleeves provide a comfortable and secure fit, The double tube construction design helps the Shin Guards stay in place without slipping during play.
- ⚽【Ergonomic Streamlined Design】- The shape of the AIMISICAR Kids Youth Soccer Shin Guards fits the calf without compressing the legs, making it perfect for kids and teens, boys and girls.
- ⚽【Sure Fit】- There are three sizes of Soccer Shin Guards available. Please see our size chart in the images section, to select the best fit. If there is any problem with the product, please don't hesitate to contact us. We will give you 100 points satisfaction.
When shopping for shin guards for your little soccer superstar, there are two factors that you should always consider:
As we’ve established, comfort is key when deciding which shin guards to buy.
The last thing a player wants is to be constantly adjusting their socks during a game. This is why it’s very important to get the fit right. Our guide for How Should Soccer Shin Guards Fit? should help.
It may be beneficial to try some on first to find out what size best suits your child. However, if that’s not an option, most manufacturers provide sizing charts. Also, bear in mind that large velcro straps that hold the shin guards in place tend to be less comfortable than strapless shin guards.
Another key consideration, as you might expect, is protection. After all, this is exactly what shin guards are designed to provide. All shin guards will be made with protective materials but cheaper guards might be less durable. It’s worth it to pay a little extra for the knowledge that they won’t crack or wear down during soccer games.
EVA backings are great for shin guards because they do a great job of absorbing the energy of an impact with another player. This will disperse the energy throughout the shin guard, rather than into your child’s leg.
We hope you found our guide to the best shin guards for youth soccer players helpful.
All three sets that we’ve reviewed in this article will do a great job protecting your child’s legs during a game. However, make sure you consider comfort and protection as the two most important factors when choosing your shin guards. As long as you prioritize these two things, you won’t have to worry about your child getting injured on the field and they can play at their best!
Make Your Own Shin Guards
If you want to try an easy project at home with the kids, check out the video to see how to make your own shin guards! A couple of disclaimers though. They won’t offer the same protection as manufactured shin guards. They also may not be allowed in most organized leagues.
But in a pinch or if you need a cheap pair for pickup, give it a try!